Subject: Re: [Leica] a street ready M3?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:59:45 -0800

At 9:30 PM -0700 1/25/02, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Okay folks, I've never owned an M3, (hardly ever seen one..) so what am I
>looking at to get a street ready one together I can ACTUALLY use with
>confidence alongside my M6?
>
>Downsides of the M3 (and I'm not even sure if I'm correct on these), which I
>believe can be remedied...
>
>Weird loading system? (can be updated?)
>
>Annoying rewind knob (add one of those doohickys that make it faster - are
>they still available)
>
>Later M rewind lever (is this more useful...)
>
>costs for the above...
>

>also - single/double stroke?  serial#/age to go for..?
>
>Come on all you M3 lovers, whatcha think?

You'll get a lot of responses on this one, Tim, because it's an
emotional thing for most.

The main issue, however, is whether you're looking for one as another
practical M camera, or whether you're looking for a nostalgia trip.
If it's the latter, get a DS whatever serial number and leave it
alone; shoot with it as is and live in the 50's. If you want another
M body that'll get you pictures with a minumum of fuss, get a user M6.

I use a variety of gear; some is a lot of fuss but has benefits to
compensate, but if I'm after the picture convenience counts. Only if
convenience is not available does the fussing not bother me.

Sometimes it's just nice to play with the gear. If I got an M3 now,
it would fall in this category, and any configuration would be
justifiable.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design