Subject: [Leica] Re: Neal's Week 5
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:56:05 -0600

Neal:

>The prime shot of the week is of Robbie an emigrant from Slovinia. Robbie works
>as a auto body repairman, he has that same look of determination to make a
>better life for himself as those pictures from Ellis Island around the turn of the 20th century.
><http://www.photoneal.com/photos/paw/tn/robbie1.jpg.html>

The picture doesn't say anything to me about an emigrant or Ellis Island.
Looks like a guy in a garage.  As such, it's a nice environmental portrait.

I find his right hand disturbing (left as we look at the picture).  It's
floating in air as if cut off from his arm.  Need more seperation of his arm
from the background.  More shadow details would also be helpful in figuring
out this guy is a mechanic rather than just some guy standing in a dimly lit
garage.

>This weeks alternate is a study in geometric shapes.  This long bench (about 25' long)
>sits in front of the Ringoes NJ railroad station. The station and the bench
>are both Victorian era, around 1880.
><http://www.photoneal.com/photos/paw/tn/bench1.jpg.html>

Need to crop heavily to make this a study in geometric shapes.  Right now,
it's a park bench with a bunch of repetition.

Eric