Subject: [Leica] Tina Ruisinger (now OT, was Winter in GA)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:45:12 +0100

Last week I went to the opening of Tina Ruisinger's exhibition 'Faces
of Photography' in the Altonaer Museum in Hamburg. Tina, who is a
very pleasant young lady, received a scholarship to finance her
project to photograph the old star (mostly Leica) photographers of a
bygone era. Her portrait of Inge Morath was on the invitation card,
and several of the other photographers have also passed away since
she photographed them. She worked extensively in the US, and also in
Europe for this project and a book with the same title as the
exhibition has just been published by Stemmle. High quality printing
and paper that corresponds to the black and white pictures.

Tina willingly shared her experience and told me all pictures had
been taken in available light. These pictures are so entirely
different from the ones discussed in the thread on Winter in GA. If
you have a chance to browse through the book, please do so and see
what one can do with very little equipment. These pictures are so
superb....

Many of the pictures show the old photographers with their Leicas,
but Tina used MF for this book. She told me she brought two cameras
along, but almost all photos were taken with a really old twin lens
Rolleiflex. That camera was so old and battered she thought it would
give up any day, and she brought a Hasselblad along as backup, but
the Rollei just kept functioning.

Available light forced her to work with large apertures, and some of
the pictures have a depth of field of about a quarter of an inch. But
she has it in the right place. I was surprised this was possible with
a twin lens reflex. My favorite picture is a portrait of Feininger,
and for this she used a close up lens on her Rollei. It is such a
penetrating picture, but then she did not use the rules supplied in
the course mentioned in Winter in GA.

New subject: Triennale der Photographie Hamburg 2002 starts on 18th
April in ten museums and twenty galleries. If you are in Germany
during that time, why not spend a day or two in Hamburg.

Greetings to all
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or