Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and Sodium Ascorbate....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 08:22:26 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >There's also adding a wee dollop of Rodinal to your Xtol.
> >
> >For bite. And crispiness.
>
> Mark:
>
> have you really tried this yourself? How much Rodinal (I guess you
> keep your Xtol at 1+3), and what effect on development time?
>
> This is what somebody else said on the pure silver list:
>
> However, I would not mix the developers for another reason.
>
> There's no reason to expect that a mixture will have intermediate
> activity.
>
> For instance, one developer might be buffered weakly to a
> moderate pH where only a fraction of the developing agent was
> ionized to limit activity, and another could contain a very small
> amount of developing agent in a well buffered alkaline solution.
> Mixing would give a lot of developing agent in an alkaline
> solution with greater activity than either. Or the opposite might
> happen. Likewise, some combinations of developing agents may give
> synergistic effects, and some components of developers can cause
> inhibition of activity of other agents.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
> --
> Christer Almqvist

I agree completely. Adding two formulas together would not seem wise in
almost any case.
It's a lot different from adding a developing agent, like ascorbic acid
or Glycin or Phenidone to an existing formula.
I add Glycin to my Dektol to make it into an instant Ansco or GAF 130.
Great blacks
Or i add Phenidone to my Dektol to turn it into an kind of instant LPD.
Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin and in a colder darkroom.
Adding Ascorbic acid to paper or film developers seems in interesting
and worthwhile experiment which is apparently been coming up with some
worthwhile results.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com