Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and Sodium Ascorbate....
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:40:45 +0100

>There's also adding a wee dollop of Rodinal to your Xtol.
>
>For bite. And crispiness.

Mark:

have you really tried this yourself? How much Rodinal (I guess you
keep your Xtol at 1+3), and what effect on development time?

This is what somebody else said on the pure silver list:

However, I would not mix the developers for another reason.

There's no reason to expect that a mixture will have intermediate
activity.

For instance, one developer might be buffered weakly to a
moderate pH where only a fraction of the developing agent was
ionized to limit activity, and another could contain a very small
amount of developing agent in a well buffered alkaline solution.
Mixing would give a lot of developing agent in an alkaline
solution with greater activity than either. Or the opposite might
happen. Likewise, some combinations of developing agents may give
synergistic effects, and some components of developers can cause
inhibition of activity of other agents.

Regards,
Chris
- --