Subject: [Leica] Re: Photogs being their own worst enemy
From: "Paul Winkfield" <pwink@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:43:29 -0500

Hi I've been quiet for a while, very busy but this thread raised my hairs!
I belonged to a camera club where the focus was always equipment; and I
witnessed members get real upset and quit the club due to such focus(pun
intended)

I knew a member who had a full line of Nikons from the EM to the F4 and he
had
Minolta from SR101 thru several Maxxum bodies. It didn't make sense to me;
he
was better stocked than some stores in town! And while he earned many
ribbons
on club competition, never hit it in regional or national level.  Then there
is a guy
who collects  and still shoots but most of his 2 dozen bodies sit in boxes!
(he owns
a M4, needed repair for 10 yrs now, it hasn't seen the day since)

I agree with you all!  I met some photogs who specialize in nitch areas,
(ie:nudes), who
only use one (non autofucus) camera, 50mm lens and a studio flash, TriX film
and is
carving out a fair living, at least getting bills paid!

Ted's analogy using the Hooker ( I prefer adult services professional ;-)
is interesting, her/his primary 'tools' are God given. whereas ours is man
made,
(but for the 'vision') so is prone to outside influence via the companies
who make the tools!

I can see owning a Leica M for its qualities, also owning a Pentax LX for
its uniqueness.
but to take F4 then trade for F5 or trade all for Canon EOS is silly to me.
Then you feel
you need more lenses to  match the 'vison' of some pro who is paid to
advertise in
some popular foto magazine.  Really, it not much different than hair
shampoo, each
says it get you hair clean, shiny, e-z to comb even better orgasms!!!
<paul>
I'm going back to lurking mode..run more film thru my M3!!

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Photogs being their own worst enemy)