Subject: [Leica] Car doors and bicycles OT
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:19:20 -0700

Yes according to the law it was your fault. You moved a part of your vehicle
into someone else's right of way. Getting doored is also a common problem
for cyclists that do not have proper lane position. The motorist is usually
unaware of the law and is quite surprised when they are charged. Their
insurance company is also not very happy.

If you are a cyclist, make sure you are at least a car door's width away
from parked traffic. This also gives you room to manoeuvre away from traffic
(rather than into it) if a pot hole is in front of you or if another vehicle
behaves erratically. The same law also applies to you so do not weave in and
out of parked cars. Just like a car, every time change lane position, you
have to yield and negotiate right of way. If you lack confidence while
cycling in traffic, I highly recommend the "League of American Wheelman's"
(I think they changed there name to something more PC but I cannot recall it
right now) Effective Cycling courses. In Canada the courses are called
"CanBike" and offered by your provincial cycling association.

John Collier ( a CanBike II instructor)