Subject: Re: [Leica] P&S cameras and Canon L glass compared to Leica
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:58:04 -0400

Sam:

Of the R glass, the Nikon glass cannot touch any of the R lenses designed
in the 1990's or later.  This includes lenses like the 70-180APO and the
big APO-Tely glass.  Even the moderately priced 35-70 f4 would perform
better than the Nikon equivalent.

If you compare the Minolta designed 24mm or even the 80mm Summilux to the
Nikon equivalents, you will find similar performance.  The Leica lenses
will tend to have a better colour rendition and better flare control.

I had the Canon Eos 400mm 2.8.  It was the version prior to the IS lens.  I
also have the Leica 400mm f2.8.  I found the Leica produced images with
more snap to them and better shadow detail.  I noticed when shooting soccer
and football , the Leica would have detail in the shadows and black shorts
or Jerseys, while the Canon lens didn't hold the detail.  The leica lens
also gave a nice 3d look to the muscles in the arms and legs.  The Canon
lens might have looked more contrasty and thus sharper, but the images
lacked the snap of the leica and looked 2d.

Regards,

Robert

Replies: Reply from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] P&S cameras and Canon L glass compared to Leica)
Reply from "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com> (Re: [Leica] P&S cameras and Canon L glass compared to Leica)