Subject: Re: [Leica] P&S cameras and Canon L glass compared to Leica
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:33:54 -0800

Okay, here is the flip side of the whole issue as a working
photographer. The client does not deserve Leica glass, as far as I'm
concerned. While I do relatively well, most photographers are
grotesquely under paid. They simply can't afford to walk through the
door with shoots done with equipment that cost more than their lifetime
supply of cars.
In the Reagan economic collapse, many publishers, or media buyers,
scaled back their rates. Many of us that made $750-$1200 a day plus
expenses, saw it nearly halved. Those reduced rates have stayed with us
to this day. Every now and then in PDN, you'll see an article dealing
with that issue from every sector of the working photographic world. Now
that a media product can have its circulation increased many fold due to
the internet and increased usage, there has been an attempt to redress
this issue.
As of yet I don't see rates that can place a Leica in a working
photographer's kit. While covering boxing, I saw only one 280 F2.8
Telyt, and a rental at that. Everything else was a Canon, with a very
sparse scattering of Nikons. I was using a Rollei, believe or not, with
an occasional RF by you know who. Being at ringside, a 50 is considered
a long lens.

 Slobodan Dimitrov