Subject: [Leica] Was - P&S cameras -
From: pmjensen <pmjensen@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 02 18:49:11 -0800

Slobodan wrote:
>I ran an exposure test for A&I's processing, as each lab will
>cook your film differently. Yeah, I know, they all say we follow the
>processing times rigorously, my you know what. They are all different.
>Even between the different A&I lab across the city.

A few years ago John Varn, the owner of the highly-respected Chromeworks
(E-6) lab in San Francisco showed me the results of a Fuji processing
analysis/survey, taken from custom labs nation-wide. It was in the form
of a target: a bullseye (perfect processing) surrounded by concentric
circles (amount of variance from perfection) and dissected by two axes
(coordinates for color and density, IIRC). Fuji ran film through each
lab, analyzed it, and plotted the results as points on this target. No
lab came up perfect - no surprise there - but John was thrilled to show
me how close to the bullseye Chromeworks was: one of the best. Labs were
orbiting in all areas of the solar system including the outer reaches.
I'd like to reiterate that these were pro labs.

This is not at all to cast aspersions on A&I - their reputation is rock
solid - rather to statistically affirm your perception that each lab,
while ostensibly aiming for spec, has its own characteristics. As you've
learned from experience and enthusiasts should understand, the best we
can hope for is that our chosen lab will be predictably imperfect every
day.

- ---Peter