Subject: Re: [Leica] T Adapter for Leica, Leicaflex
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:08:27 -0800

David,

At one time after market lenses were made in a generic screw mount. In order
to mate the lens to a specific camera, an adapter was needed,  an adapter
which had the camera mount (bayonet or screw). The adapter would screw on to
the lens thus making it compatible with the camera.
This was convenient for manufacturers for they had to manufacture only one
lens for all cameras.

These mounts took several forms, from the "T" to the most sophisticated
"T4". Then after market lenses began appearing in specific mounts for most
brand cameras.

T mounts are still available, in fact there is one that mates T lenses to
EOS cameras and others, I am sure.
I have several T mounts for various cameras but have never seen one for
Leica lenses though it may well have existed. However, does it make sense to
put a Spiratone lens on a Leica camera? Some photographers used the system
to take advantages of lenses that would cost few dollars as compared to
hundreds or even thousands of dollars for the brand lens.

Joe