Subject: [Leica] FOCUS (UK) report
From: "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:05:31 -0000

FOCUS is the UK's major yearly trade show for photography and having been
there today (the first day of four) there were plenty of goodies to see.
First off, of course was the M7. Every bit as entrancing as the rumours had
made it out to be. Exactly the same shutter as the M6 so no new clicky clack
noises to be discovered. It takes two batteries (of the M6TTL style) in a
similar location  to previously but with a bayonet (rather than screw
cover). The LED display seems clear and inobtrusive, thouigh pointing it
towards bright light allows you to see a faint image of the pcb surrounding
it, which was illuminating (sic.). The +/- exposure adjustment on the rear
was in 1/3rd step adjustments and easily set after disabling the lock
button. The on/off button on the top also prevents the shutter from being
depressed.
I met Erwin Puts and Brian Bower at the Leica stand and Erwin showed me his
web page printout which should be on-line by this evening, it looks like a
very comprehensive report.
The new Digilux 1 reminds me of the Argus 'Brick' camera in some ways, very
'clunky'! But most reassuring in its solidity. Apparently it's meant to be
regarded as professional... I can't see it competing with the Nikons and
Canons. Close focusing is pathetic, it seems to 'bottom out' at around 8
inches whereas most Nikons sail down to probably 8mm! There is a funky /
retro viewing shade (surrounding the screen) which can be attached from the
tripod base socket, other accessories are in the pipeline but unnavailable
as yet. Media storage is the relatively new Panasonic device SD memory card
/Multi Media Memory card, 64mb as standard. It uses a lithgium ion battery
which negates the possibility of running it off AAs sadly...
It can be attached to Leica spotting scopes for telephoto shots.

At the Konica stand there was no interest shown in promoting the Konica
Hexar RF, nothing was available to handle. The 35/2 lens wasn't to be seen
and no-one had any knowledge of the wide angle multi-focal length lens.

At the Voigtlander stall the Bessa R2 wasn't available, yet. Though I had a
long conversation with the UK brand manager who thanked you for all the
comments you made which I passed on to Cosina and Mr Kobayashi for improving
the camera. He's quite sure that that feedback was used in upgrading the new
camera. The metal shutter speed dial (as already seen on the ltd. edition
Bessa with the 50/3.5 lens.) the forthcoming metal back, etc. Enquiries are
ongoing about getting the 50/3.5 collapsible lens into the market place
without the camera. The sound of the ltd. edition Bessa seemed quieter than
the ordinary Bessa R, apparently the new Bessa R2 is supposed to be even
quieter / better. The price of the Bessa R2 is hoped to be not much more
than the original Bessa R.

Last word on the M7/M6. I asked what the plans were for the M6, and
according to Rolf Kruger (over from Solms - and he recognised me from our
last LUG meeting/forum at Photokina) it is expected to die a natural death
as the M7 takes over sales.
However, from other sources, I heard that M6 production has stopped and that
there will be a replacement available soon? when? Cost? Cheap? Competition
with Cosina? Very interesting....................
The other rider is that public opinion could always vote in favour of
retaining the M6 through sales volume so it may well be brought back if
demand is sufficient.
But interesting.....................

regards,
Jem