Subject: [Leica] Re: Question on the M7 and the Metz 54 MZ-3
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:30:54 -0600

Henry:

>I tried the HSS mode on the Metz54 manually and its
>just a strobe flashing. Does it mean it will strobe as
>the shutter curtain moves horizontally ?
>Also how does the flash sync up with the shutter's
>travelling speed if indeed this is possible.
>I would imagine, the syncing has to be perfect between
>the shutter and the flash unit to avoid exposure
>overlapping as the flash strobes.

That's just it...it doesn't need to sync up.  The flash strobes from the
time the first curtain starts moving 'til the time the 2nd curtain stops.
Instead of having a flash exposure of 1/20,000 (or whatever) in the middle
of when both curtains are completely open at the 1/50th, speed, you'll have
multiple bursts spread out over 1/250, 1/500, or 1/1000th of a second.

It's almost as if you're turning on a light for the duration of the shutter.
Except that light gets brighter and dimmer throughout...cancels out.  :)

I've had this feature on my Nikon N90 since 1990 and I don't remember using
it after the first couple rolls.  It was neat...but it means you're using
the flash on manual.  No TTL.  No auto shutoff.  Get out either your flash
meter or your guide number chart.  Oh...and *really* increases battery
consumption by the flash, too.  :)

Eric

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Question on the M7 and the Metz 54 MZ-3)