Subject: [Leica] Two New Leicas and Two Critics
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:13:09 EST

Fellow Leicaphiles,

Leica is just in time to follow the Digilux with a model based on the Foveon
X3 technology, which would make it even a better value.

As for the look-feel of the Digilux, I haven't handled it so I can't talk
about it.
On the basis of the 3-D photo, only the thickness seems out of proportion --
but that is characteristic of all digital cameras, including the reflexes. I
like the analog dials and the RF appearance. But it's the lens that I long to
work with.

From what I've seen of the M7, I think it will be a gem. Leica will probably
continue to make the M6 until the demand declines. Besides, there will be
many clean used M6s available to us for years to come. However, the M7 does
deserve to have the graceful Leica logo on the top deck, as does my M3. I
became converted to AE when I began using the original FM, which had a built
in advisory match-diode meter. The battery never died on me. I changed it
yearly only for insurance's sake. One battery went along for 3 years, and I
still have it and it tests well. The new FM, from what I understand, is
remarkable in that it furnishes both full mechanical and electronic shutter
speeds. I wonder how Nikon did that.

As for Erwin Puts, sure he writes for the house, but he gives us technical
information that's useful about what's in the M7 compared to prior M models.
That's valuable knowledge when deciding whether or not to buy an M6 or an M7
- -- or even an M3. He is objective where it counts. He reminds me of the
critical writing of Bob Schwalberg during the 50s and 60s in Popular
Photography. Bob was somewhat more objective that Erwin, but he was so
impressed by Leica Leitz that he would be passionate, for example, about the
CL, yet -- like Irwin -- be very candid about the technicalities and make
honest comparisons. I heard Bob Schwalberg passed away some years ago. I hope
I'm wrong.

br