Subject: RE: [Leica] Develoment Help!
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:23:42 -0800

Andrew,

The first thing I would suggest is picking up a copy of Anchell and Troop's
"Film Development Cookbook". There's lots of good info there to get you
started. You might want to also pick up a basic darkroom book from Kodak
etc...Luggster Dante Stella worte a little article on getting started
developing your own film,

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/guerilla.html

My additional comments,
- - I personally prefer steel tanks and reels, but if you go steel, be sure to
use Hewes reels and not cheap generic ones.
- - to hang up film I just use a length of kitchen twine and some of those
black spring paper clips along with wooden clothes pins to weight the film.
- - I haven't used Diafine, so I can't comment on that. I've primarily used
xtol as a developer, but it is now no longer available in 1 liter packets
only 5 liter. If you aren't shooting alot it may take you awhile to work
through 5 liters. D-76 at 1:1 is a classic developer, as is Rodinal at 1:50
or 1:100. Rodinal is particularly easy to use since it's a liquid and keeps
a long time.
- - If you are using any developer besides xtol, you may want to consider
using neoprene rubber gloves as most developers are somewhat caustic and may
cause skin irritation.
- - For films I'd start off with something traditional like FP4+, HP5+, Tri-x,
APX400 etc... Traditional films tend to be more tolerant of variations in
temperature, agitation, and development time than the modern t-grain films.

Tom Finnegan