Subject: RE: [Leica] International warranty
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 07:16:13 -0800

Ask L:eica USA.. they will find out for you.  It is probably a good idea to
ask them to put it in writing.
Second... ask (email or phone call) the distributor in the country of
purchase.. they are listed in the Leica Germany site.
Third, ask Leica Germany ( least likely to get you a fast response, but if
in writing, is probably the best way)

There is a stamp, but the NUMBER of the dealer is the ID characteristic.  Or
so I was told.  That number must match your receipt and the Leica Germany
records.

I should point out that one of the options open to an International Warrany
owner is to ship his camera to Germany for repair.,  I think this method
probably works, without all the hassle of dealing with NJ.  But the shipping
cost and aggravation for a minor adjustment, is probably too much to be
bothered with.

I agree it is weasley... and chicken- sh..... and if it were a US warranty,
we in the US would be protected against all this nonsense.  But because it
is an Internatilnal warranty, basically supported by a foreign company, the
US laws are probably not in effect.. so buy USA or takes your chances...

All over which distributor (or dealer?) gets billed back for repairs....
You would think that if they wanted to make it easy, they would automate
this process through a central clearinghouse in Germany....  Effectively
they do that, but LEica USA does not want to make it easy on the consumer to
buy grey and cut them out of the sale profits....  thry still get paid for
the repir through the bill back method, so the repair bucks are the same.
This is what I have said previously is part of the mentality of the
localized profit center....  each office must make a profit of 30%.  The
focus should be on world wide pricing and service.

Chicken-sh.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net