Subject: Re: [Leica] why i can't be a professional photographer
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:23:31 -0800

Greg Locke wrote:
>>The problem is , of course, (and I don't say this to be elitist) is that
the
> proliferation of  "consumer cameras" and basic photography becoming so
> simple and "common".  It is great that everyone has access to basic
> photography but it also means that the value of quality (not necessarily
> professional) is diminished by a large population that think "photography"
> can be done anyone with a Phd camera ("push here dummy") and there is no
> more to it than that.  It comes from peoples beliefs that technology is a
> replacement for talent or other human deficit.<<<<<

Hi Greg,
How true!!!!!!!!!!!

The auto everything any idiot can Phd point at something and come away with
a scene in focus and reasonable exposure cameras are the biggest pain in the
butt for professionals.

"My cousin has this great camera that takes really good pictures so we're
going to use him this time instead of you."

Me. "Oookkkkkaayyyy! But if he screws up and you came back for us to save
your ass, be assured our fees will double!" "You've got to be kidding?" says
beginning to be an "ex client!"

So cousin screws up royally, client comes back in panic and asks to have his
ass saved bigtime because his boss is wondering why he hasn't seen any
pictures yet?

My response? Always ......" Say do you re-call I told you our fees would
double if your cousin screwed the job?"  "Yes, but you weren't serious were
you?"

Me, "Yeah well like, you bet'cha! Why? Because your cousin is a person with
a camera that exposes film without thought - talent input, therefore you
have to pay for our years of experience as professional photographer's that
comes with using cameras beyond the simple auto push button no brainer
event."

Yep and we sometimes have them tell us to do unmentionable things! ;-)  We
write that moron client off without a blink!

I've found the auto everything no brainer camera's have become the bain of
professionals, simply because there are a great number of people who believe
photography isn't any more than a point & shoot experience with the camera
taking great pictures.

We all know that isn't the case.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited