Subject: Re: [Leica] why i can't be a professional photographer
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 11:20:27 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Greg Locke wrote:
> >>The problem is , of course, (and I don't say this to be elitist) is that
> the
> > proliferation of  "consumer cameras" and basic photography becoming so
> > simple and "common".  It is great that everyone has access to basic
> > photography but it also means that the value of quality (not necessarily
> > professional) is diminished by a large population that think "photography"
> > can be done anyone with a Phd camera ("push here dummy") and there is no
> > more to it than that.  It comes from peoples beliefs that technology is a
> > replacement for talent or other human deficit.<<<<<
>
> Hi Greg,
> How true!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> The auto everything any idiot can Phd point at something and come away with
> a scene in focus and reasonable exposure cameras are the biggest pain in the
> butt for professionals.
>
>><Snip>
> Ted Grant Photography Limited

The other thing is they think if they screw up the picture take they
just fix it up in Photoshop.
Of course the picture YOU do for them they ALSO "Fix up" or screw up in
Photoshop.  ... make it more interesting.

Digital photography has been made an extension of desktop publishing.

And desktop publishing has put design tools and implementation into the
hands of untrained and otherwise bad non graphic-designers.

The result is a lot of bad design. And bad illustration, bad
photography, bad photographic manipulation. Photo graphics.

Photographers will need to be hired for thier vision. NOT the fact they
just know how to do the process. Not the fact that they can bring home a
picture in focus... Produce hard copy.

Photographers will also be hired for thier ability to BE THERE.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Message from Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> (Re: [Leica] why i can't be a professional photographer)