Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica to Pen F defectors
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:09:28 -0800

Dante Stella wrote:

> Did anyone here defect from Leica to Olympus pen in the early 60s?  If so,
> why?  I heard that the Pen was a big favorite of Leicaphiles and that it
> even attracted the attention of Leica engineers.
>
> Cheers

I got an Olympus pen FT in October of the year 2000 and used it for a
few months.
I love half frame as we talked about only a few weeks ago.
The innovation; many innovations of the camera designed by the legendary
Maitani ... no pentaprism.
But the Olympus FT GLASS despite the small image circle was not all that great.
Notably less great than my Leica glass despite the disparity of image circles.
The combination of the less than great glass and the smaller format
soured me on the camera.
There are pocketable cameras out there with better glass and a full format.
Although i do like the smaller format.
My Olympus pen FT sits there nicely on my shelf.
I understand that with the way the camera was made i can put Leica M
glass on it.
That would be interesting. And all kinds of glass could go on it because
of it's specs.
Moreso than just about any other camrea.

I want modern glass on a modern half frame camera. For my top shirt
pocket. Made by Leica.

And/But Now that Advantix has bit the dust all that glass can be ported
over to bring back real half frame. (Which is really single frame)
The formats are about the same. But real half frame does not have all
the extra digital high Tec stuff and uses regular 35mm cassettes.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com