Subject: Re: [Leica] Microprisms for R8?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:28:39 -0800

Julian wrote:
>>> Thanks, Ted.  I tend to listen to what you say, which is why I have the
> ground glass on my R8.  I actually do well with it but have never been
brave
> enough to try it with a 35mm and with indoor available light (say, f2 and
> 1/30).  I always chicken out and use my one and only M6 for that.<<

Julian,
Well sometimes you just have to go M if it's dark and you can't get a good
fix on a highlight for sharp focus o the ground glass screen, but it has to
be pretty damn dark before you can't use the R8 under low light conditions..

But may I suggest before you get caught some day with only the R8 and an
available darkness situation and you don't have any choice but to use it.

Find a spot in house or wherever, where it's a low light wide open situation
and make the R8 work for you, then you'll have a few practice sessions
before being put to the wall and have to produce, or die. ;-)

If I run into things where I know it's going to be a sqeaker kind of light
location or whatever problems are perceived, I try to find a location or
lighting similar to the shoot time location and make s few test rolls to
create a better comfort level when the assignment must be shot without a
light - lens nagging, when you should be completely concentrating on the
subject at hand and what you're being paid to shoot.

Heck even after all these years I still check things if I feel there could
be an available light or lack of light shoot location. It's always best to
do even a little research then be partially prepared rather than walking in
absolutely cold and have to fret the day away and until you see developed
film.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant