Subject: Re: [Leica] New Items on E-Bay
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:15:25 EST

In a message dated 3/7/02 6:05:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, msmall@infi.net
writes:

> There are often new items available on
>  e-Bay at very low prices.  The large New York discount houses sell Leica
>  and Zeiss and Swarovski and Optolyth and Steiner binoculars at about 85% of
>  their store price,

My thing, Marc; when I buy new, I want a factory warranty and a good merchant
who will stand behind the product. I'm not interested in bargaining for the
last dollar. I know the good store usually can't compete on price with a
discounter, let alone an auction site. But on a new item, I can't go back to
an auction site. And I want to let the good dealer make enough to be there
for me to trade with for a long time.

Years ago I bought a new Leitz lens from just such a solid Leica dealer, took
it to Marty Forscher at Professional Camera Repair in NYC to check out. Marty
said "the lens is a very good specimen, within spec, but with your contacts
at Leitz NY I think you can get a 'better' one". Took it back to the dealer
who sent it back to Hudson Street (that's how long ago it was) and Vince
Fochtman hand-picked a fabulous specimen for me. Still have it. You can't do
that with the big discounters or with a website.

Seth         LaK 9