Subject: Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:26:36 -0800

Mark Cohen wrote:

> Slobodan,
>
> Sorry to rain on your parade, I think your figures are somewhat out of
> date. Actually, most design houses now use PCs. sing Linux on PCs *Beowolf Clusters*
> I personally am not a PC or MAC fan, but I don't see why you would want
> to spend 2 to 3 times as much for essentially the same thing.
>
> -Mark

I think two to three times more is a bit high. G4 towers start at $1500
and out of the box are very effective. For the most part, professional
houses don't work on cheap eMachine boxes. The PC has certainly made in
roads in to the graphics publishing market, but I think Apple still has
the lion share of it. Here in the visual effects business (LA) we are
split in to camps.  Windows NT for the Ligthwave guys, increasingly
LINUX for Maya/Hondini etc, SGI for Flame/Inferno and mostly Macs for
matte paintings and the art departments.

feli