Subject: [Leica] WAS.McCurry's Afghan Girl NOW>> money grabbing!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:54:36 -0800

Kevin Argue wrote:
>Frank- As a working freelance news photog, I have twice faced a problem
with people I photographed. I cover our wine industry with my photos sold
> worldwide. When a winery invites me over to shoot the harvest it is there
> idea and invite. Twice people I photographed whose images sold worldwide
> came back to me  'wanting a piece of the action.' In both cases the winery
> had to intervene on my behalf. When people here I sold the image they
think
> there are huge profits to be made.<<<<<

Hi Kevin,
I had this sort of situation dropped on me a couple of times and on one
occasion sorted it out myself, the other I told the guy's lawyer to get
stuffed and if he had a problem take it up with the people who have the
money..... the client.

But one trick that shakes them up quickly, particularly when you have some
dimwit who thinks you just made thousands from the photo sale. Get the paper
work for your costs of equipment, film, time and all relevant expenses  that
would've been accrued in doing the assignment.  Then have the cheque stub
for the amount of money you were paid for the shot also in hand. Like the
one for the half million you were paid. Yeah right! :-)

When they come charging in with their lawyer, be quite pleasant and offer
immediately to split the money received in half, seems only fair you tell
them.

However, to get their half they should pay half of the costs for shooting
the assignment! :-) Seems fair to share the costs in proportion to the
"income made doesn't it?" ;-)

"Oh well we don't expect to do that! We just want our half." You respond
with, "Hey cool man, I'm only too willing to give you half of this $200.00
if you give me your half for doing the assignment, costs $600.00 and I'm not
even including my professional services fee!

And if you keep calm and cool headed, quite upbeat about sharing the money
as long as they pay their half, it'll work out they pay their lawyer more
than you were paid for the picture sale. ;-) Just pisses them off no end! Oh
and the money you were paid? They don't want to hear about it as getting
their half would cost them a bunch more.

But man you have to be real calm and smiling all the time.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] WAS.McCurry's Afghan Girl NOW>> money grabbing!)