Subject: [Leica] WAS: McCurry's Afghan Girl NOW: model releases for far of lands.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:19:35 -0800

Frank Filippone wrote:
>>However, the argument in my head  has to do with the need for, or the
presumed need for versus the practicality of coming up with model releases
from photographs taken in far off lands......<<<<<

Then there's the story of the stock photographer who was on assignment in
far of lands photographing aboriginal's and desert folk. When he got back
the agency wanted model releases for all these people in the wonderful
pictures he did or they wouldn't accept any into file.

Photographer explained the people in the pictures were illiterate and or
couldn't write, let alone know how to spell whatever their names were,
besides they'd never see any of the pictures in any event. So big deal!

Agency was adamant! "No releases, no pictures!" Sometimes photographers can
be imaginative and brilliant at the same time........ very rare! ;-)

So he said OK give me two weeks, I'm flying back there and find all these
people and get releases. And off he went out the door.

Made reservations, bought plane ticket and went on holiday for two weeks.
Where he filled out enough model releases with fictitious names or versions
of those he remembered from the shoot and returned to the agency sorted
through images identified names to people in pictures, all were happy and
went on his way.

Up to the last time I heard, there weren't any lawsuits from camel driving
folks in far off lands and he's collected a tidy sum of royalties from sold
images.:-)
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do........ fake it! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant