Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:48:58 -0500

At 06:00 PM 3/20/02 -0800, Photo Phreak wrote:
>    I was under the impression that they owned all or part
>of Schott.  It may have been a joint ownership with
>Schneider.
>
>    I was also under the impression that Zeiss owned their
>own before selling out.

Carl Zeiss funded the creation of the Schott glass works in the later
1800's;  in 1919, Otto Schott, the founder, sold it to the Zeiss
Foundation, who have owned it ever since and who most certainly own it today.

Schneider uses Schott glass for the most part, but with some melds from
other makers.  It really doesn't matter:  the industry co-operates to
ensure that each glass works produces some of the common melds and its own
specialty glasses.  These are categorized in the Schott Catalog -- Hoya
glasses, for instance, are included in this when they do not conflict with
a Schott formula.

Leica has never owned a glass works.  See the introduction to Rogliatti's
lens book or to Laney's Collectors Guide.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!