Subject: Re: [Leica] Canada build vs German build
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:50:56 -0500

At 11:07 PM 3/22/02 EST, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>My post made no personal reference to you whatever, save to point out your
>mistake.

Uh, Earth to Planet Seth?  Whether you made reference to me is irrelevant.
Your original post is bunk.  I stated that Leitz never had a glass factory;
 you posted, with appropriate harumphs, several citations that proved Leitz
never had a glass factory.

Seth, Leitz nor Leica has ever had a glass factory.  Whatever is the
problem in this?  To the rest of us, the distinction between a research
facility (laboratory or, in the regions of the US outside of your domain,
"lab") and a production facility (we call them factories but your
Harvard-educated intellect probably has some fancier phrase) is plain.
Gosh, but there really IS a difference between a lab and a factory.  If you
don't KNOW the difference, and if G C. Merriam Webster cannot educate you
on the difference between this difference, come on down to Virginia,
brother.  We are probably just plain hickseeds in your New York mind --
but, gosh, we DO have some cutting-edge optical labs locally (the ITT Night
Vision Lab is five miles from me as I write these admittedly exasperrated
words) and we hickseeds can generally understand the difference between
FACTORY and LABORATORY.

Seth:  Leitz had a glass laboratory.  They closed this around 1986.  Leitz
never had a glass factory.  Leica has never had a glass factory.  If you
have any knowledge that Leitz or Leica has owned, managed, controlled (in a
legal sense, you Harvard buzzrard, you!), or othewise managed a glass
factory, pray, allow us the knowledge of this -- and cite your sources!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!