Subject: Re: [Leica] Was - Photoshop playing -Now-Digital Darkroom
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 10:18:32 -0800

on 3/24/02 9:15 AM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
>> I have a question related to the digital vs. wet darkroom. How close can a
>> digital B&W print get to a wet darkroom print?
>
> They are two very different mediums...but, that said, I can print inkjet
> prints that are very close to my wet darkroom prints...but I don't want to.
> What I CAN do with digital is two things important to me in image quality
> that I can't do with a wet darkroom (at least near as easy).  One is
> setpoints, which means I can set the black point and the white point...and
> all my valid image data lies in between.  Second is tonal curves (which is
> similar to dodging and burning plus a whole lot more), for example, I can
> "bring in" my shadow detail, yet leave the rest of the entire image with the
> same tonal ratios.
>
> I actually prefer, for B&W, the digital methodology, though I spend the past
> year 30 years in a wet darkroom!

if I may butt in... what Austin has described about the setpoints and tonal
curves applies 3x with color images.  The degree of control over the image
is FAR greater than anything I could ever do in a darkroom.  No way I'll go
back to the traditional printing process.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com