Subject: RE: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:10:30 -0500

Hi Dante,

> 2.  The suggestion (which has even popped up in this thread) that "I don't
> need a lawyer; I can read," (i.e., lawyers perform no societal
> function) is
> absurd.

The need for lawyers (in a grand sense) is because of the, in my opinion,
over complexity of our laws.  This need is, in a large sense, self made,
since, for the most part, lawyers write the laws.  Unlike the need for
doctors, who do not make up the illnesses.  I am in no way suggesting that
lawyers can't and don't serve a very useful function...but the need is WAY
to overbearing, in my opinion.  A somewhat intelligent person should be able
to take care of %99 of the legal issues one needs to take care of.

> The proliferation of personal-injury lawyers is a testament to
> society's utter lack of self-reliance and dependence on others to
> absolve it
> of its own carelessness.

If there weren't so many personal injury lawyers looking for personal injury
cases, I don't believe there would be so many personal injury cases.  Some
personal injury cases are entirely legitimate, but a large number of the
ones I hear about (and know first hand) are just absurd, and would not go
anywhere unless some unscrupulous lawyer got involved.  The sad part is,
these lawyers get companies to pay up, though their claims are a joke,
because the cost of litigating, and the POTENTIAL for large awards is there.

This was in no way meant to offend anyone, but is simply my personal view on
the subject.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Daniele Coliva <dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it> (Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers)
Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers)