Subject: Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers
From: Daniele Coliva <dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:21:47 +0100

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:10:30 -0500, you wrote:

>The need for lawyers (in a grand sense) is because of the, in my opinion,
>over complexity of our laws.  This need is, in a large sense, self made,
>since, for the most part, lawyers write the laws.  Unlike the need for
>doctors, who do not make up the illnesses.  I am in no way suggesting that
>lawyers can't and don't serve a very useful function...but the need is WAY
>to overbearing, in my opinion.  A somewhat intelligent person should be able
>to take care of %99 of the legal issues one needs to take care of.

The complexity of the legal system is certainly a major issue, but
there is another matter to take into account: a lawyer is also someone
who's "outside" the litigation matter, and therefore his/her judgment
about the best strategy or solution is more likely to be less biased
by the case itself. We (ok, I admiti, I'm a lawyer! :-)) have a
saying: the lawyer who defends himself has a fool as a client. As a
surgeon wouldn't want to operate a relative, so I wouldn't want to
assist myself (or even a relative).
Not being a part of the case allows avoiding to "fall in love" with a
theory and to be able to pick possible weak points and thus work out a
solution (that excludes of course tricks or deception).

Regards,
Daniele

Daniele Coliva
Bologna, Italia