Subject: Re: [Leica] Macro - Leica R vs Nikon, was Eric's PAW week 13
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:06:14 -0500

Hi,

I have shot hundreds of close ups of flowers using Velvia and Provia
with a Nikon 60 mm f 2.8 D. The reason I got an R8 was that I wanted to
explore the possibilities of flower close ups with a Leica Macro lens. I
haven't done that yet because it's not flower season yet, so I can't
make a direct comparison. I have heard that the Leica lens is a bit
better, though at the level we're talking about here we're not talking
night and day differences here. I can say, my 35 year long love affair
with leica not withstandg, that the Nikon is an excellent lens. I have
three of four dozen 11x14 Cibachromes from these slides which are really
gorgeous. It may or may not be as good as the equivalent offering. I
don't know. That doesn't change the fact that the Nikon lens is an
excellent performer.

Barney