Subject: [Leica] M7 First Light Report
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 22:30:03 -0800

I got my M7 today from Lee-Mac Camera in Pasadena.  For what it is
worth, here are some first observations after shooting one roll.  The
film has not yet been developed.

Overall, I have to say I am very pleased.  I think this is a winner.

LOOKS & HANDLING
The camera looks, feels, and in non-auto mode operates just like the M6
TTL.  From what I know about the TTL, the lights and dial operate the
same.  The camera is ever so slightly taller than the M6 Classic, but
identical in size to the M6 TTL.  It is not noticeable.

The speed dial is very similar to the M6 TTL, except that it is
continuously turnable in either direction.  Unlike the dial on the
Classic, it does not stop at B.  The detents for AUTO and the two
mechanical speeds feel different, so it is easy to set them.

The shutter delay, in all modes, seems identical to the M6.  I know it
is supposed to be slightly longer, but it was not perceptible to me.

The shutter sound at 1/30 and faster sounds very close to the M6, but
ever so slightly higher in pitch.  At 1/15 and lower, the gear and
whirly sound is gone. Just a soft click, click.  This is much quieter.
With no batteries it works at 1/60 and 1/125, but with no lights in the
viewfinder.

COUNTDOWN!
Time exposures show a seconds countdown in the viewfinder on AUTO, or a
count up on B.  The manual says that almost no current is used to keep
the shutter open.

ON OFF SWITCH
The on-off switch is GREAT.  On the Classic, if you have a soft release
you often lose a shot when the camera goes into a bag.  This new switch
mechanically stops the shutter from releasing when it is off.  This is
super.  No more lost frames!  Further, when you switch it on, the
viewfinder displays the ISO setting, confirming your setting or that the
DX is working right.

EXPOSURE DIAL
Exposure compensation takes 2 hands, left thumb to push the button and
right thumb to twiddle the wheel, and you have to look at what you are
doing.  You are not going to bracket in a hurry.  But then, who needs to
bracket?  ;-)  The DX works just like it is supposed to.

VIEWFINDER
The viewfinder (a .72) seems slightly warmer than on my Classic.  The
lights are at the bottom of the 35mm frame.  If you use eyeglasses, the
lights are just at the bottom of the viewable area, and can easily be
ignored (a good thing).

The numerals remind me of 1970s LED lights, not like the LCD style in
the R8.  Very thin.

The lights do all sorts of blinky things I haven't figured out yet.
One nice thing:  when you push the shutter half way down a little light
comes on and the AE locks.  Works well.

AUTO MODE
Well, this is what it is all about.  Basically, it does exactly what it
is supposed to do.  You set whatever aperture you want, and you get the
speed that you would get with the manual mode.  I checked this against
manual mode, and yup, that is what it does.  If you have used A mode on
the R8, this is that.  The AE lock works with a very positive half stop,
and is surely the way I will be using the meter.

I did find that everything went faster.  Just focus, shoot.  Or, set a
hyperfocal distance, and just shoot.

REALLY LOW LIGHT SENSITIVE METER
This is an unexpected benefit.  The low light meter is better, and it
says it can go down to EV -2.  That is 4 seconds at F/1 on ISO 100 film.
 It will countdown 32 seconds.

NIT PICKS
The red dot on the lens release is gone; probably a good thing.  The
box is silver, not white, and the internal presentation box is no longer
plastic with red felt; it is gray cardboard and black foam.  But then
who cares about that?  The strap went on easier than on my Classic.  Due
to the DX contacts, the film can doesn't come out as easily, but that is
a good thing if you drop things like I do.  The pressure plate is
polished, while on my M6 it is brushed.

FLASH
Not having a TTL before, I didn't set up the SF20 right.  More on this
later.  The speed is set to 1/50 automatically, so at least that part I
won't mess up anymore.

Happy shooting,
Bob Rose