Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures of a Stranger (but not anymore)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:11:49 -0800

Sonny wrote:
>> The interesting thing to me about
> this series, was that I was trying to figure out how to break the ice,
> and just ask him if I could shoot his picture.  It was only when I had
> a hook; his name, that I had the courage to ask him instead of just
> sniping.  Maybe I'm getting to the point I can do that.<<

Sonny,
The name is always best if one knows who it is even though you're a complete
stranger, but when you address another human by their name......... the ice
is broken!

We feel other people's presence even though they're complete strangers. By
the same token we unknowingly "radiate the same thing" towards the subject
which in turn sometimes allows us to be accepted even though we have a
camera.

If we feel apprehensive and not warm to the other person or you're
uncomfortable with asking, quite often you turn people off before you open
your mouth.

I believe people persons, those who truly enjoy other people, what they do,
who they are, and we " treat another as you'd have them treat you." We put
that out unknowingly and before we open our mouths to, "may I take your
picture?" The person is intune with us.

A smile, a pleasantry of the day, sometimes a mere nod of the head as in,
"hi" without saying a word as a recognition factor that you are in the
company of another human being, can open vast amounts of wonderful photo
opportunities.

It's learning to be comfortable with ourselves in what we do when making the
picture request. We're not doing anything evil or untoward to the person, so
why not feel friendly, be friendly, and ask in an open manner. Be pleasant.

Sandy Carter, my associate whom many of you know, has a beautiful way of
getting pictures of people, male and female who wear a hat. Particularly if
it's a kind of weird one, "Oh may I take a picture of your hat?" she smiles.
Well hell that's all she has to do in any event, smile! :-) And the next
thing you know the people are being shot without a question.  And enjoying
it.

I don't have any doubt it's partially a "woman" unthreatening touch, that
has a lot to do with her success. However, as simple as saying, "May I take
a picture of your hat?" you open conversation with no threatening element
and the chances are the potential subject will be friendly and comply.

It isn't the easiest thing in the world to walk up to a stranger and ask to
take their picture, but before you do, you really should know how your going
to shoot it. Not ask, receive permission then stand there like a dummy
wondering what you're going to shoot.

But if your mind does go blank, best thing?  Start a quick frame or two,
then ask for a turn of the head, change your angle or whatever. But for
heaven sake "Don't just stand there......do something!"
They just said........ "yes!"

If it's taken you a half hour to build the confidence to ask, you do, they
say yes! You sure as hell better be cranking film real quick! :-)

Sonny, the third frame is a keeper, the hand gesture is wonderful as it
signifies communication and brings life to the photograph. It's all part of
the three basics of shooting... "Light - Eyes - Action!" Anyone of us
recognizing that trio as the driving force of shooting our pictures, then
they should be successful photographs.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant