Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 heaven! :-) UPDATE.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:40:13 -0800

Tom Abrahamsson wrote:
>>You can feel the various "switches" for the meter and AE-lock and it seems
that the travel of the release is a bit longer than on the M6. <<

Hi Tom,
I noticed that, but figured after all these years of other M's I'd get use
to it. I put a soft release on after the first couple of frames without and
it seemed to shorten the feel of travel.

>>One minor beef though -  the battery-cover is prone to coming undone and I
must admit that I would expect a bit better material in the that part. It
feels a bit fragile and flimsy as it is made out of some plastic.<<<<

That's not good news and I checked mine to make sure it was locked tight in
place......it was. However.....it might be prudent to order a
cover..........just in case as an insurance policy.

We shouldn't even be thinking like that, simply because if this should come
to pass as a nit pick pain in the ass thing, surely one would think the
"field testing folks" would've come up with this as a "potential problem"
and it would've been fixed. May never happen, but?

>>The "lock" on the camera is a good idea. No way you will get those
"interior shots of camerabag" anymore and it will probably save a lot of
battery waste too.<<<<

I know it'll save me a frame or two of film! :-)

>>It is also a very quiet M, less shutter-sound than the M6, almost like an
old well used M2 or M3.<<<<<

it's certainly different from the M6.

>>I also got my Bessa R2 from Voigtlander/Cosina. This is a
> modern M2 as it has a meter built in and a very good viewfinder as well as
> M-mount. Comes in black and olive green. A bit noisier shutter than the M,
> but 1/125 flash synch speed and 1/2000 top speed. 35/50/75/90 frame lines
> with manual switching (like an old Canon V and VI). Of course for what you
> pay for a M7 you can get a couple of Bessa R2's and 15/25/50/75 or 90 mm
> lenses. No more plastic either, all metal body in diecast magnesium. - All
> this camera testing is hard work but somebody got to do it!<<<<

The cost of the M7 compared to the Bessa R2 complete with lenses is rather
frightening. Damn I better get my ass in gear with this M7 as I'm switching
M6's to M7's, and when I look at the cost and what you can get as you've
spelled out....... it truly is frightening. :-)

This testing is kind of new thing for me, as I usually grab it and into
battle hoping everything is working, but I was so taken with the AE I wanted
to see how well it functioned, so it was a few rolls and I'm very pleasantly
surprised.

Best feature of the camera as far as I'm concerned. Certainly for me in my
style of shooting.  It'll just make the film manufacturers happy..........
:-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant