Subject: Re: [Leica] No! No!, Erwin!
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:58:52 -0500

Hmm. how do I feel about this issue?  I am sorry that Erwin has ceased
publication of his newsletter;  I really am.  I find his information
helpful.  I must say  that one of the problems I have seen is that Mr. Puts
seems to edit his own material.

Now, as a member of the posting minority, I do not often employ editors, but
in the area of magazine articles, brochures, documentaries, and scripts that
I have published, I ALWAYS pass it by someone else, and let them shoot any
holes into the work that they can.

If I were in the business, even the unpaid business of criticism, I would
definately ask for editorial help.

The quality of Erwin Puts' work is not in question, and never has been, even
by his detractors. The title of the post that so offended Erwin seemed
jocular to me.  I did not see animosity there.

Maybe I am thicker-skinned, or maybe many years of editors have made me
understand that ANY piece of writing can be made better.

By the way, if anyone is not subscribed to Erwin's Newsletter, and did not
see the content, here is a copy.  All copyrights to the following url belong
to Mr. Erwin Puts:   http://www.sonc.com/puts.htm

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

> I don't think it's bizarre at all. I've never met or talked to Erwin, but
I get the feeling that he is fairly sensitive as these things go. I've never
believed that a thick skin should be a requirement for being a published
expert. People who don't like what Erwin has to say should simply pay no
attention to him. The world is full of people whose opinion I don't care
about, and life is too short to get aggravated about any of them.

> My profession for the last 20 years or so has been research management in
engineering. One of the jobs of a research manager is to prevent the
aggressive hard-shell people from intimidating the introverted experts. In
real life there is no manager, and sometimes the introverted experts don't
have a safe place to do their thing.