Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [OT} carbon 14 dating
From: Jeffery Smith <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:01:08 -0500

One tidbit that might make the process easier to understand...

There is a constant level of Carbon 14 in the atmosphere, so everything
living (plants and animals) in the food chain has a very consistent level
of C14 in it. However, once something dies, it stops taking in C14 and the
C14 levels begin to slowly decrease to become C12. By measuring the amount
of C14 remaining in bones, papyrus, wood, etc., an approximate time of
death can be established.