Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Couple R8 questions
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:30:43 -0700

Gary Todoroff wrote:
>>> Ted - since you're commenting on the R8, any pearls of wisdom from you
on
> the motor drive vs. the winder? I'm especially interested in the auto
> bracketing capability of the motor, mostly for aerial photography. Have
you
> used that feature much? I have an SL and SL2 with lenses: 35/2.8, 50/2
> 90/2.8 180/3.4 (!!) and 280/4.8, and am really looking forward to the
> just-purchased R8.<<

Hi Gary,
I had the winder sent to me due to the unfortunate delay in motor production
and I was never so glad to have a motor in my life when they finally
arrived. The winder is a film advance only and when one is working action
stuff, as you would from the plane or chase boats you need the swift film
changing action of the motor.

I don't remember whether the hand grip came with the motor? Maybe some one
else will, but you absolutely require the hand grip for comfort and
effectiveness of handling.

And when the scene is changing quickly and you shoot one with the winder
then wait what seems like an interminable amount of time before the next
frame is ready drives you absolutely crazy. Why?

In my case I've always used motors and anything else is maddening, so if you
should get a winder I'd guarantee you'll be sending it back, heck you can
advance film by thumb faster.

As far as the auto bracketing, I don't use it too often and even then Sandy
my assistant-associate is hollering at me for wasting film! :-) Of course in
a joking manner. But the auto bracketing is very effective and gives a nice
exposure spread. However, I usually find the frame I'd have shot as a single
frame is the one I end up choosing. But not always.

All in all, the choice of winder or motor there isn't any question, it's
motor all the way. You  wont regret it and it also makes for a better
feeling handling of balance with the R8.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant