Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: calling on the LUG to do a good deed: leica scholarship
From: kiklaas@iinet.net.au
Date: 30 Apr 2002 01:42:16 -0000

...I'm just
> saying that, in general, things are economically pretty good here.
>
> B.D.

BD,

That was what I thought and said about South africa until I moved to
Australia - I learnt more about the "true" state of South Africa whilst
living in Australia and I am retrospectively appalled by how it was for
those less fortunate.....

How many years does it take to reach 4 week paid annual leave in the US?

How many hours do you have to work a day to live "well?'

Quantifying standard of living should include quality of life....not the
clothes you wear and the cars you are able to drive...but also, how well
the less fortunate than you are taken care of and how much time you get to
spend with your family etc...

What do they say - "one can win the rat race....but you will always be a
rat."

By the way, I enjoy this exchange because I learn more about the US so I
am absorbing everything you write.

It does not take a stupid person to form a perception based
on the only source they have avalaible to them, until actually visiting
the country.  I was just surprised at how far off the mark that perception
was

Someone in LA said there is here is a saying that applies to LA:

"A bus comes in at 12 o'clock everynight and picks up all the ugly people"

This almost knocked me off my stool.

Karina