Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital M??
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:20:46 -0400

> This might not be as daft as it seems.  The thing that's put
> me off buying
> digital is the fact that the whole camera will obsolete in a
> few years.  If
> manufacturers built digital backs that could be attached to
> normal cameras
> I'd bite.  That way, you could keep your camera and just
> upgrade the back.

There are quite a few issues with actually just plopping a digital back on a
camera made for film.  It could be done better by designing a body that uses
standard film lenses, but is made to use a replaceable rear module with the
CCD and some of the associated electronics that needs replacing when the CCD
is replaced.  Economically, it really won't fly as far as I can
tell...simply because it would cost less to just make a whole new body...

Austin