Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Digital M??
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:26:08 -0400

> I think while it's true that you probably can't take an M body and
> retrofit a digital imaging system into it, there isn't any reason not to
> expect to be able to make a useful digital imaging system that is about
> the size of an M body.

Hi Peter,

Yes, obviously it is, since there are entire digital cameras the size of the
body alone....but...it depends on what capabilities you want, and how much
storage, and how long you expect the camera to last on a single charge.  The
two major issues with digital cameras are power and storage.  Also, do you
want a preview?  LCDs eat batteries...  I'd agree with you that in five
years or so, high end digital cameras COULD be made the size of an M body
and still have quite good battery life and large storage.

Keep in mind, that the larger the sensors (as in overall size taking into
account spatial resolution), the more storage is required per image...  If
you want a 16M sensor that generates 16M pixel images (at, say, 24 bits per
pixel), that's 48M bytes/image.  A 1G FLASH card would then hold ~20
uncompressed images!

Regards,

Austin