Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Digital M??
From: Pete Su <psu@kvdpsu.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:46:45 -0400

I think while it's true that you probably can't take an M body and
retrofit a digital imaging system into it, there isn't any reason not to
expect to be able to make a useful digital imaging system that is about
the size of an M body.

The history of computer engineering makes people expect this to be
possible.

When I was a graduate student in 1988, I bought for $700 what was then a
HUGE disk drive (70MB). These days a disk drive that holds nearly 1000
times as much data fits in a box the size of a pack of cards, along with
a computer that can play music off of it.

Current useful digital bodies are awkward 35mm conversion jobs that in
general are somewhat too large, or 4x5 scanning backs that are too slow,
or large and expensive backs for medium format cameras.

But, it seems to me that at some point (not now, not next year, maybe 4
or 5 years from now) useful digital bodies will be the size of a Leica
M. But it's probably too much to hope to be able to just plop your
existing lens line onto the body.

Pete