Subject: RE: [Leica] Two non Leica photo equipment questions
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 13:30:44 -0600

> Of course, from 4x5, why would you want to make negs and scan
> them?  I don't
> think that given the output technology, you would get any benefit
> from that
> neg size.
>
> Interesting idea, though.
>
> Dante

Not quite sure what you mean dante?

I scan my 4x5 negs/transparencies on an Epson scanner and print here on an
inkjet up to 13x19 - you can most definitely tell the difference between a
scan and print  from 4x5 and a 35mm (yes, even Leica!) even when the 4x5
scan is at 1600ppi and the 35mm is at 4000dpi.

If I output the same to a Ligtjet printed up to 36" wide, the difference is
obvious. (BTW, the Lightjet print from 4x5 came out looking much better than
a "regular" print the same size made by my normal lab. When I start to get
drum scans made of my selects, I think they will be stunning - and I'm sure
I will still be able to tell, very easily, the difference between a print
from a 35mm drum scan and a 4x5 drum scan).

tim