Subject: Re: [Leica] Doing your own color
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 14:37:42 -0400

Adam, the short answer is that there is no learning curve.  Should you
deviate more than a few percent from the time and temperature combination
for the chemistry you use then you will have hard to impossible negatives to
print.  So, the process is very easy if you allow yourself to follow the
instructions exactly.  Therefore, if you are going to be doing your own c-41
process you should invest in an automated processor.  In any color process,
time and temperature are absolutely critical in the development phase.  In
the bleach/fix, and wash phase much less so.

To lesson the requirements there are several "room temperature" kits out
that don't require temperatures to 1/10 degree C and times within a second.
I am most familiar with the Beseler CAN-2 process which allows processing as
low as 75 degrees F.

If this is a short term project then I would try renting a lab for the time
required to process your film.  It should be possible to pay for time at a
service bureau to run all your film in an hour or so if your needs run to 30
rolls or so.

Don
doyrsrus@mindspring.com