Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol times for acros
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:50:01 -0400

Daniel, I've been using Acros for almost six months now.  Using Xtol 1:3
with no presoaking in small tanks on SS reels,  I get my best results at
17.5 minutes at 20 degrees C.  I use 100ml of stock for every 36 exposure
roll.  Agitation is continuous for the first minute then 5 seconds every
minute thereafter.  Agitation patterns don't seem to make much difference.

This combination is fairly sensitive to water quality so use distilled water
to mix the developer.

I use the accordion bottles you find in camera stores moving from a 1 Gallon
size to a 1 Qt size as the developer is consumed.  It took me about four
months to go through my last 5 liter batch with no ill effects.  Before you
use a floating lid system I would mix a batch and then develop controlled
exposure film every week for a month to see if the developer is oxidizing.
I guess that means that I am suggesting caution until you prove or disprove
the system.

You will find that at the recommended exposure this film is not as fine
grained as some but that the tonal range is quite extended.  In some ways it
acts as an old heavy silver film that tolerates overexposure to move the
curve into the shadows.

Enjoy!

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com