Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk 19/sl
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:35:20 -0700

Steve Lehuray showed:

>>> This week a couple in a Georgetown bar:
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/paw2002/paw2wk19.html<<<<

Hi Steve,
Knowing you use meterless cameras I bet this is an incident light reading
exposure simply because of the overall light level look. A kind of even what
the place looks like to the eye.

It's a good one alright and has that "incident light reading" look. Quite
often this "open look" is missed by meter in the camera exposures .....
unless, the photographer knows his camera and how it's reading.... this is
done with hardly a moment of thought under these light conditions.
Nevertheless it's done and an adjustment in handling to where the best
reflective surface / area will give an even over all look is selected.

Otherwise just pointing and shooting, the open look in this case would
probably be much darker due to the lights in the background making the
onboard meter read a higher shutter sped or smaller aperture selection..

As much as I make using the M7 sound as a simple point and shoot camera in
the lighting environment of the recent operating room medical project,
there's always an instant awareness of what lights are in the frame lines.

If the lights are over powering, a slight point down or off center makes for
an instant exposure correction and slight extra pressure on the shutter
release locks the exposure, then I shoot.

Steve you always come up with what the location should look like under these
light conditions.  And primarily by using an incident meter. Good one.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant