Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop dilemma
From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:37:56 -0700

This is an interesting question - not just reserved for photographs.

For example, I paint landscapes.  Do I paint everything I see in the
scene?  Of course not.  I try to paint the subject as accurately as I
can, but I may leave out something that might detract from it.  I
may alter some of the colors, or perhaps feather out edges to make an
object appear less sharp - sort of the same thing Sonny did with the
background in this photograph (or rendition, whichever you prefer).

My purpose, of course, is to paint the subject in such a way that it is
interesting and appealing to the viewer.  The same type of manipulation
can be done with photographs (depends upon what the photograph is to be
used for).  Photographers have been doing this forever - and for the
same reasons.  Why do we crop or use filters, dodge or burn in?  What
was it the narrator said about Ansel Adams altering his photographs
before sending them off to President Roosevelt in order to encourage him
to set aside land for a park?  I think it was to increase the visual
impact of the photos so that Roosevelt would be more inclined to take
the desired action.

If every picture or painting was painstakingly rendered to portray the
subject exactly as it is, then, IMHO, we would be living in a very dull
world indeed.

Of course that doesn't answer the question of when is a photograph not a
photograph.

Perhaps that depends upon what the meaning of is is.

Ted in Olalla