Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop dilemma
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:22:57 -0700

Hi Ted.

I don't think anyone views a painting with the expectation that it
accurately reflects reality.  I do think that most people view a photography
with that expectation.  Perhaps it is because we all have those experiences
with our work.  When we draw/paint, most of us could never acheive a
reflection of reality, so we don't expect it.  If we take a snapshot we do
expect a reflection of reality.

Where do we draw the line?  It is getting harder and harder to decide.

Aram

> Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:37:56 -0700
> From: "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop dilemma
>
> This is an interesting question - not just reserved for photographs.
>
> For example, I paint landscapes.  Do I paint everything I see in the
> scene?  Of course not.  I try to paint the subject as accurately as I
> can, but I may leave out something that might detract from it.  I
> may alter some of the colors, or perhaps feather out edges to make an
> object appear less sharp - sort of the same thing Sonny did with the
> background in this photograph (or rendition, whichever you prefer).
Snip