Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan in Zurich
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:38:37 -0700

Mark, you're absolutely right.  The problem is that when I try to drop the
shadows, the dark blue clothing starts to look like used garnet paper with
colored sparkles.  Your Bauhaus teachers would not like that!

I've seen this problem before in scans with an area of intense, saturated
color.  I'm not sure if it's CCD bloom or overload, or what.  It's not the
usual noise problem on dark areas of slides, because it is happening on a
light area of the negative.  There is detail in the neg--I can see folds in
the clothing etc.  Can you think of any way to improve the scan?  I already
tried multiple sampling and "long exposure."  No help.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA