Subject: Noise cleaning software, was Re: [Leica] Nathan in Zurich
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:50:04 -0700

>At 09:00 PM 6/4/02 -0700, Peter wrote:
>
> >I need a little help from our resident scanning experts here.  Nathan was
> >wearing dark blue clothing, and it scanned with a lot of noise in the form
> >of colored speckles.  It's harder to see in the little JPG, but in the
> >original TIFF it's pretty bad.  Every time I tried to work on the
> >brightness curve, the speckles became more visible.

Tina replied:

>Peter, Fred Miranda has an action to reduce noise in digital photos.  I
>don't see why it wouldn't also work for scans:
>
>http://www.fredmiranda.com/isoX/index.html
>
>Tina

Thanks, Tina.  Unfortunately, it only works with full Photoshop, which I
don't have, and not with LE or Elements, which I do.  Too bad--though I
don't use either any more, I'd be happy to fire them up to use a needed
plug-in.  I actually use Picture Window Pro, and I've been pretty happy
with it so far.

Your suggestion gives me an idea, though.  Polariod just came out with a
software-only "cleaning" program intended for use with their Sprintscan
scanners, which have no IR cleaning.  It's a free download from the
Polariod Web site, and works both as a Photoshop plugin and as a
standalone.  It allows you to create a mask and apply cleaning only to a
paticular area, and I think you can apply various degrees of cleaning.  I
wonder if it might work on noise if applied just right.  I'll have to try
it one of these days.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Re: Noise cleaning software,)