Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh (sp?) rant - hot to handle!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:39:26 -0700

Jeffery Smith wrote:

> > I can't think of an otherwise good image I've ever seen where the
> > "bokeh" ruined it.
>
> Try a 500mm mirror lens with point sources of light in the background.
> Not good.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jeffery L. Smith

A whole lot of people shoot wide open just about all the time and just
about NEVER stop down.
There images consist of a smallish sharp subject and the larger rest of
the area is out of focus.
Most of the area of the image is out of focus. This area serves to set
up the subject.
If its clumpy and bunchy then who the heck wants that?
If it's smooth and creamy then so much the better. I'm all for it.
Is it possible to ignore this stuff?. I cant see how.
Sure the biggest thing is the subject. Getting the shot.
But the way everything else looks comes in a close second.
Figure/Ground.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com