Subject: Re: [Leica] What Neutral Density filter should I get?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:18:04 -0700

Tristan Tom wrote:

> What grade Neutral Density filter should I get if I want to try to do some
> daylight fill flash photos with an M7?
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> -Tristan

Interesting how i recall this question several years ago on the LUG.
It seems obvious that a Neutral Density filter would aid in daylight
flash filter photograhy.
But if you think about it. It really doesn't.
The Neutral density over the lens slows down the film as much as the
flash. Resulting in no change in the relationship or ratio.

The only real aid i can thing of in such photography is to use a more
powerful flash.
I'd suggest a MUCH more powerful flash.

Or the flash with the M7 that enables full all shutter sync which would
be some Metz at this point.
So you can shoot at 2000th of a second with the flash.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from alex olstein <alexolstein@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] What Neutral Density filter should I get?)